Career vs Vocation

Career - a chosen pursuit; a profession or occupation

Vocation - an inclination, as if in response to a summons, to undertake a certain kind of work; a calling 

A recent speaker in my Tuesday night class said "don't let your career get in the way of your vocation."  That phrase struck me deep and has been convicting me since I heard it a week ago.  I'm totally guilty of thinking that I have to wait until I quit my current job to do what God is calling me to do--to love and to serve the poor and the marginalized--to spread His story to all the nations--to really make an impact on His kingdom. 

I'm guilty of blaming procrastination on perfection--all of my ducks have to be in a row before I can move forward.  For example: I can't go hang out with the homeless until I've got my baggies all prepared with crackers, shampoo, and McDonald's gift cards; until I've done research on where the homeless hang out; until I've taken a training on how to best present the gospel to the homeless; until I've made sure it's safe; until I've...you get the picture.

That's always been my problem.  I don't move forward with something if I know that I can't do it perfectly.  Well, news flash to Lauren--you're never going to do anything perfectly--you're not Jesus!  My challenge to myself:  stop preparing and start doing!  Just take the first step--stop trying to see what steps 8 and 9 are going to be.  Just let God be in control and He will get the glory for it!

Bottom line:  God can use me wherever I am--all I have to do is obey His calling!  I can live out my vocation while I'm doing my career.  And who knows where He will lead me in the future...

2 comments:

Kim said...

Great post, Lauren!

In the book Crazy Love, Francis Chan says something to this effect: Christians usually say they are waiting to be "called" to do something. But did God "call" you to watch LOST last night, or go shopping, or get your nails done?

It's true that we have to just start doing... start going... start acting on what scripture already tells us, then we'll be ready to be "called" to more specific things or bigger things when He has that plan for us.

Thanks for the great reminder!
Love you,
Kim

Lauren said...

Exactly, Kim! We've already been called by God (all throughout the Bible)--we don't have to wait for anything! I've got so many pages flagged and things underlined in the book Crazy Love that it's crazy! That guy (Francis Chan) says it like it is! Very convicting...in a good way!