I want to grow up and become a Polish nun

No, I'm not crazy.  Well, maybe a little. 

So, I read an article today (found it on a blog I "stalk") and got super-excited.  I'm excited because it's written about a topic that I've been thinking a lot about for the last few months or so.  I'm excited because Christians are starting to "get it"!  And I'm excited because it's given me some clarity and direction on how to move forward.  I'm pumped, people!

You see, I've been overwhelmed lately with all of the things I feel God telling me to do.  It all has to do with my role in serving the poor and marginalized around the globe, but it's all jumbled up in my head.  I can't tell exactly what I'm meant to do.  In the meantime I've been praying for clarity and just doing "normal" service things that I've always done.  Not to downplay those things, but really--I feel called to do much more.

A tidbit of info about me:  I tend to feel called to action regarding EVERYTHING I read/see/hear.  I know it drives my husband crazy...he's definitely going to sigh loudly when I tell him to read my recent blog post...but I guess it's a good quality to have, right? 

Anyway, when I read the aforementioned article today, it stirred up a lot of excitement and heart pounding in me.  First I'm going to read the book that it references (and prepare for the change that it will most definitely bring to my life).  Then I'm going to talk to my small group about using the free 6-week study guide for our next study together (and pray that all of us are called to action)I'm pumped, people!

So, please share in my excitement by checking out this article and this book (and even this blog where I found the article). 

Here is another teaser from the article (the first teaser was the blog title)...

If secular liberals can give up some of their snootiness, and if evangelicals can retire some of their sanctimony, then we all might succeed together in making greater progress against common enemies of humanity, like illiteracy, human trafficking, and maternal mortality.

And a teaser from the book...

How have we missed it so tragically, when even rock stars and Hollywood actors seem to understand?

4 comments:

Mindy said...

love it! can't wait to check it out! and also glad to know that i'm not the only one who gets passionate about EVERYTHING and wants to save the world!

Rachel Pieh Jones said...

can I put a shameless plug in your comments for our new REI project? I just posted something on my blog about it - check it out! I love your heart Lauren.

Lisa M. said...

I love that you get so excited and passionate about things dear friend! It's what makes you YOU!

The Hollister Family said...

Lauren,

This article is great but even more great is the man who wrote it Nicholas Kristoff and his wife wrote an amazing book that I think you should add to your list called Half the Sky: Turning Oppression for Woman into Opportunity (or something like that). I read it last summer and it made a very powerful effect on me. Very exciting news about the waitlist.