Waiting Stinks

It's true.  Waiting is NO FUN.

We had SO many adoptive families tell us that the waiting period would be the hardest part of the adoption process and we didn't really get it...until now.  It's hard.  Really hard.

You see, up until you're put on the waiting list, the process is kind of under your control.  How fast or slow you fill out forms, go to appointments, etc. is how fast or slow the process moves.  And when people ask you what the status is, you actually have something to tell them.

Then one day, you submit your dossier and everything just stops. 

And you wait.

How fast or slow those numbers move is totally out of our hands.  Not a darn thing we can do about it.

I really wish that I could report all of the productive things we've done while we've been waiting.  You know, reading parenting books, child-proofing our house, setting up the nursery, attending baby classes, etc. 

But that's not the case.

We've pretty much been in a funk. 

Don't get me wrong.  We really WANT to be excited about this.  But we've been guarding our hearts for so long.  We know that the adoption process is unpredictable.  We know that anything could happen.  So we haven't really allowed ourselves to make it a reality.

I think we're getting there.  But please pray for us.  And can I ask you a big favor?  Please don't give us any of the cliche lines like "it's all in God's timing," "He has the perfect child picked out for you," etc.

We already know that. I promise. We do.

And we believe it.

3 comments:

The Doyals said...

Lauren- I cannot even begin to imagine how hard this process has been and I can't wait to meet your new little one when he/she/they FINALLY gets here! Oh- and can't wait to see you next weekend too!!!

The Goods said...

We will be praying for you guys during this waiting process. I can't WAIT to see your Sept week 2 numbers!!

Sarah said...

You have been on my heart ever since I read this the other day. I thought I would come back and put a link to a post I wrote a while back. I know that I have not gotten to where you are now, but it is what's in my heart. May the Lord grace you to find Him- even in the waiting.

http://stiltneradoption.blogspot.com/2010/07/take-way-that-you-do-not-know.html