I missed the point

I'm disappointed in myself. I missed the point and in turn screwed up an opportunity to serve someone.

You see, I was at a stop light the other day and saw a typical scene for Houston. A homeless person on the corner with a cardboard sign. This guy's main message was that he was hungry. I was in the car by myself and decided that I wanted to help. Side note: My husband doesn't really support my desire to help every homeless person that I encounter. Don't gt mad at him--he helps people for a living which exposes him to the "ugly" in people and he is therefore cautious about who he helps on his own time. I didn't have any food with me, so I decided to give him some money. I pulled out $5 from my purse and rolled down my window.

As he walked toward me, I got a weird feeling. It's like I became afraid of him and what he would say or do to me. I don't know why I felt this way. I was never in any danger. I was in a crowded group of cars all stopped at a stop light. There were plenty of people around me who would have helped me if something actually did happen. But this guy wasn't a threat at all. I was judging him because he was homeless.

And I missed the point.

I reached out and handed him the money and immediately started rolling the window back up. As I was very rudely rolling the window up, he was telling me "thank you" and he complimented my curly hair and said that my husband was a lucky guy. My gut reaction was to feel like he was being a disrespectful man giving me a lame pick-up line. Now that I reflect back, I really think he was giving me a sincere compliment. And I snubbed him. I'm such a jerk! As I was driving away I got so sick at myself. I just treated that man like he was a second-class citizen.

I thought he needed money, but what he really needed was someone to smile in his direction and have a normal conversation with him.

As sick as I feel at myself for completely missing an opportunity to serve someone, I know one thing for sure: I get the point now.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Lauren,
I'm weeping. This is so true. What a lesson! I know I've been guilty of the same, and pray I've learned this lesson, too. Thanks for sharing your story, so we can all learn from it. Even the "least of these" are as precious to God as any child is to a parent. And our actions are the way they will know they are loved. Wow!
Love you!
Kim

Mindy said...

Even in our best moments sometimes it still takes us a while to learn God's lessons! I am totally speaking from experience as a slow learner - love you!