What's been missing

I finally figured it out.  There was something missing in my life.  Don't read into this too much and get concerned.  I'm completely in love with my husband and my daughter and I love life as a mommy.  It's just that...well...something was missing.  I guess I was having somewhat of an identity crisis or something.  But "crisis" makes it sound dramatic, which it wasn't.  So anyway, it was just a void, I guess.

But I finally figured out what was causing that void.

A lack of reading.

I love to read.  And, while I've been reading a LOT of books lately, not a single one of them has been for fun.  I've been reading books about adoption, books about parenting, books about how to still be a good wife while being a good mom, books about how to be a better servant and a better steward, books about how to live life like Jesus wants me to. 

And all of these have been good books and appropriate books and challenging books.  But what was missing was the fun.  You know, leisure books.  Turns out I hadn't read a single "for fun" book in a LONG time (for sure since we started the adoption process in October 2009).

So, I went out and bought one.  Sisterhood Everlasting.  It's the sequel (is that the proper term for a book?) to Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.  It's obviously in the "just for fun" category, as there is not much to be learned from it.

And I'm LOVING it!

I decided that I would carve out some "me time" every night just before I fall asleep.  Eden is asleep, Ben is usually playing some type of game or watching a show in the man room (that's his "me time"), the dogs are winding down for the night...so I decided that, instead of doing the dishes or washing clothes during that time, I would just read.

And that is EXACTLY what I needed!  Feels good to be reading for fun again!

Drop me a comment with some book suggestions if you've got any.  Just remember--I don't want to be challenged or learn anything from these books! ;)

4 comments:

Brooke said...

The Help! Definitely read The Help.

Sarah said...

My favorite always tend to be "Young Reader" books... Not sure what that says about me! Not sure you're into starting the Harry Potter series, but another great series (a fairly new one) is The Hunger Games. I LOVED it! It's a 3-book series that I read in 3 days... Not sure you remember that I'm a super slow reader due to jumpy words and flip-floppy letters. Basically that's kind of huge for me! It certainly kept my attention! Anyway, I think I'll read The Help next. I hear nothing but good about it (e.g. Brooke's above comment!), and it's a branch out from "Young Reader"! :) Glad you're not the only one who enjoys some fun fluff reading!

Mindy said...

I agree on the Help! I've got it if you want to borrow! Most of my reading has been informative and learning lately but I do love Karen Kingsbury, Francine Rivers, and Terri Blackstock. Also I think her name is Kristen Billerbeck - she is a Christian author but is all but fun in Beverly Hills.

The Prescott's said...

way to go! It took me a lot longer to figure out that I needed a 'me' activity! I'll try to think of some of my favorite books and let you know.