Experiencing Ethiopia in all its Spiciness

On Wednesday night Ben surprised me by cooking an Ethiopian dish for dinner.  It was completely his idea to begin exposing us to things that will help us learn more about our future child's culture.  I know what you're thinking...and yes, he's an awesome husband; yes, he's going to be an amazing daddy; and yes, he's taken!  haha!


The meal he cooked on Wednesday is called Doro Wat, which is often referred to as Ethiopia's national dish.  It's essentially chicken in red pepper paste.  The paste is called berbere.  Ben tried to find the berbere in the grocery store, but came up empty.  That turned out to be for the best (at least to me) because it gave us more of an idea of what all is in the paste...a total of 13 spices (and some other things)!  It was extremely spicy...and for Ben to say that something is spicy means it's really spicy!

This is a picture of the chicken simmering in the berbere...


Ben worked very hard in the kitchen preparing this meal and it turned out great!  I thought it was yummy.  I think I liked it more than Ben did...he had a lot more of the spicy sauce (the berbere) on his...I could actually taste my chicken. ;)

Ben is a messier cook than I am, but I'm certainly not complaining.  My sweet man did LOTS of chopping and prepping for this meal!

I can't wait to experience more of Ethiopia!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Wow! that's awesome! So did you eat it? Did you enjoy it?
It reminds me of what they served us in Kenya... although it wasn't spicy. I imagine the spiciness made it particularly interesting. Proud of y'all for trying it!

Brooke said...

Here's what I'd like to say.

When I come to visit after Baby H is home, I would like Ben to make all of my meals and serve them to me while wearing a suit.

Some Ethiopian dishes, of course, but please nothing too spicy.

Ben Huss said...

Brooke, how about topless in my fire pants and helmet?

Lauren said...

To clarify Ben's comment, he means that HE will be topless in his fire pants and helmet. Same "outfit" he wore when he first met Brooke (at the airport). ;)

Brooke said...

Ben, I suppose that is technically a suit, but it's not what I meant. Nor did I mean any sort of birthday suit, before you go there...

Rachel Pieh Jones said...

Love Doro Wat. Did you eat with your fingers? Have it with injera sometime too - even better! Good job Ben. Can't wait to see you over on this side of the world. :O)