To everything there is a season

I love it when seasons change. Just when I get tired of wearing shorts and flip-flops, the cooler weather comes. Then just when I get tired of turtlenecks and coats, the warmer weather comes. I love that God cares about the little things! I mean, I realize that He didn’t create seasons just so I could change the style of my clothing a few times a year, but I do know that He cares about me enough to give me that added bonus.

Just like the weather changes, so do our seasons of life (that sounds like the cheesy intro to a soap opera or something). Often times we don’t appreciate the current season that we’re in…then when it’s gone we miss it and wonder where it went! I have those thoughts about high school and college (oh, the days!). Now that I’m a grown-up (hehe), I’m going to try my best to cherish the moments of the current season of life I’m in (young married, no children, successful career, clean house) so that when the next season comes I have no regrets and can jump in wholeheartedly to that new adventure.

You know the phrase “change is good”? Well, I am like most people in that I’m a creature of habit and I find it extremely hard to accept change. I’m a bit resistant to it for sure! But I guess it’s a good thing to be shaken up every now and then. Good things do come from change if you let them. To everything there is a season…I wonder what season of life you are in and what’s changing in your life? No matter what it is I encourage you to enjoy your current season of life and also embrace change when it comes your way. You don’t have to receive it with open arms, but at least give it a fair chance and let it grow on you.

I’ll leave you with the lyrics to this song. It was actually sung at my Dad’s memorial service, so it brings back all kinds of memories for me. It’s a song adapted entirely from the Bible (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8), with the exception of the last line (“I swear it’s not too late”), and composed to music by Pete Seeger in 1959.

Turn! Turn! Turn! (to Everything there is a Season)

To everything – turn, turn, turn
There is a season – turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To everything – turn, turn, turn
There is a season – turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together

To everything – turn, turn, turn
There is a season – turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time of war, a time of peace
A time of love, a time of hate
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracing

To everything – turn, turn, turn
There is a season – turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time of peace, I swear it’s not too late!

1 comment:

Lisa M. said...

Loved your post Lauren! I definitely know what you mean about "seasons" of life. I don't think that I'm ready for the next one, or even realized the seasons have changed, until I'm half way through it!